Sunday 28 November 2010

Reuters Eikon per month cost

So I notice Google is sending requests for people my way (well to this blog!) who want to know how expensive Reuters Eikon is per month.

I'll tell you:

Between USD 2'000-2'200.
So yearly cost of Reuters Eikon is USD 25'200 if you're a one-man shop (like myself).

Now I know from Bloomberg that their prices come down to USD 1'600 a month if you order two. Now that's no use to me at all, but if you're working for a company that already has Bloomberg or Reuters I'm sure they have quite some pricing room.

Also interesting: If you're sharing offices with other asset managers, traders etc who also use one of the services, there's a chance you'll get a discount. Of course you need to push and stretch the truth a bit.

And of course the best strategy is to get the salesperson to compete for your business and make new suggestions.

For example I was told by Reuters: If you want, I can push out the start of paying two months out. So you get Eikon on Dec 1 and only start paying on Feb 1.

They know once you've signed for one or the other it won't be easy to leave all your contacts and setups.

Which brings me to another point: If you're trading equities, the chances are high that the sales traders and bank has a preference for you using Bloomberg. I personally think that could change because Reuters has a nice product with Eikon. Plus they have good FX news, which is turning out to be pretty important these days with the whole sovereign debt situation!

So there's a little bit of my experience on the subject.

Other posts I've written on the issue;

1 comment:

  1. Hi There, Interactive Brokers launched an information system, called IBIS. It looks pretty interesting, might worth a comparison to Reuters Eikon or to some extend Bloomberg, although the pricing is much much cheaper on IBIS?

    ReplyDelete