Friday 30 October 2009

Profit Warnings & Knives


This stock has traded between 100-120 for over a year. Then yesterday it surprises the market with a big effing profit warning. Stock opens over 15% lower (88) snaps back to 92 and quickly falls to 90 before tumbling down to 86-88. I'm watching and wondering when and if the time has come to bottom fish.

Couple of hours pass and stock deteriates further to down to 25% (80-83). I'm not watching my screen at that point. Even before the good US GDP numbers come out this stock starts moving higher. Only with good GDP numbers do I start looking at warrants for this stock. I find one that is .55/.56 (84). 1min later it's .56/.57. Another 5min later .58/.59 (85). I see the high was .70 for the day and wonder if I should jump on?! (Didn't realize at the moment that around 92 of course that .70 would be normal price, but that I should not expect that)

Then it starts ticking down. I feel good and expect a 1-2% fall on the underlying. Warrant is .55/.56 again and I go long 40k. I feel my heart pumping (adrenalin rush) as I enter order cos I think I have to act quickly before it snaps back to .58. Imagine my shock and horror when literally as I'm buying the stock gets another 1.5% hit and falls to .52/.53. Less than 20seconds after paid .56! I think: Ok, overreaction! , I'll buy another lot and dump them both at .56 or .57 in an hour.

Then for 10min nothing much happens till it once again takes a beating of 2% and warrant is offered .49. I double again up buying 2lots this time. I'm really stretched at this point. I see the markets everywhere are ticking up, surely whoever is shorting this profit warning is going to take breather!?

But this stock just won't make a comeback and closes at the low of the day and with the warrant worth .45/.46. I was pretty devastated. But still a bit hopeful of a corrective move come today, what with the Dow being up 200 points!?

It opened at .50. My breakeven's .5175. It moves up gradually. I am able to dump the whole lot at .53 and thank my lucky stars for this close encounter!


[On a looney side note: I received an email yesterday that made it through the spam filter and was titled "You are going to be lucky". Talk about spot-on! :) Then I also started watchin a film called "Paranormal Activity" - a guy (daytrader) and his girlfriend (student) - trying to get rid of a demon she is haunted by. Makes you wonder sometimes. haha :) ]

6 comments:

  1. Is the film spooky like "The Exorcist" and "The Ring"? If it's not, I'd love to check it out :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well they kind of lost me half way through. The acting was overdone, their voices and dialogues weren't believable. It's like watching someones (not brilliant) homevideo, but who's good with editing and fastforwarding. :P

    It's suppose to be scary, but it came over as ridiculous in the end.

    :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. LOL!! Hilarious is good with dinner! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yeah you can easily watch it without being in the least scared.

    One thing that I found interesting; she walks in her sleep and you can talk to her, but she remembers nothing of it the next day. I've had similiar experience with a girlfriend; I'd wake up, look over sleepely and she'd be there with wide open eyes looking at me. I ask her what's up and she gave me this cross look said a sentance or two and turned over and went to sleep.

    Next morning I asked her, what was that about tonight, why were you cross and why did you say that stuff... And she couldn't remember a thing. Her subconscious or whatever was talking and answering, but she had not the slightest recollection of the discussion and even thought I was making it up!

    Someone being angry at you in there sleep and not knowing about it next day is the weirdest experience. I seriously started wondering, if it's possible for someone to lose touch with "sanity", but only in their sleep?! And in that film exactely that happens...

    So even though the film itself wasn't convincing, there is something there that should be looked into by science.... :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Sounds a lot like my sister. When she was a kid, she used to slap my brother in her sleep walks. And it always happened after they had had a fight during the day. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  6. :D and she wouldn't remember the next day? or deny she did it? with kids I can imagine of course they'd say they don't remember....

    but this girl genuinely had no idea what I was talking about cos she had absolutely no conscious negative thoughts regarding me or what I'd done....

    I wondered if I had said someone elses name in my sleep loud - or something like that...

    ReplyDelete