Saturday 25 July 2009

Week P/L +270$ +.6%

I had to smile when I looked at my account statement P/L.
1. I've got a day with ONE $ profit
2. I've not had a down day since before 3rd July.
3. My bias for longer periods (12-24 hours) has been correct in last days, but I stupidly never stuck with it.
4. I'm not overtrading
5. I'm preserving capital

but bad:
1. I'm stopping trading as soon as I have miniscule profits, just so I don't have risk of being subject to pain like before July.
2. I'm too nervous.
3. I'm undertrading (I think) not making use of my capital
4. I get mad for not staying in my positions longer

Well for the week that gives me somewhere around .6% return. In itself that wouldn't be as catastrophic as it looks. If it was consistent. But if you have a -15-20% return day, it would take more than a year to make it back that way.

Maybe I'm trading in such small size because I know I have no real system I'm following and I'd probably get sucked into emotional decisions if I took positions of 300-400k in first trade. After all my system is based on experience of just the period since end of May. I need many months of experience to gain confidence I reckon.

I'm considering opening a second account. 2nd account would have advantage that the realizing of ultra short term trades won't mix the profit/loss that an "investment" trade in the same pair is showing me. So I'll have one for my 12-24 hour trades and keep the other for my 1-60minute trades. Who knows, it could be that the "scalping/flipping" account helps me to trade with the "investment" account to keep a feeling for the market. Just have to watch out that 30minute trades don't start becoming investments. Big risk that for me.

No comments:

Post a Comment