Friday 19 June 2009

Take The Loss Faster - Let The Profits Run



















Well, gave back todays gains and yesterdays. Not big in $ - just $153 lost today.

It's unbelievable though. I've done the same stupid thing as I did in my initial post. I tried to short into a quickly rising market. This time my average  price was better than on June 17th, but again EURUSD went up to 1.4011 when I was expecting it to go only to 1.3985 max in worst case. I had 200k @ 1.3949. 

Covered them just now as I don't want to spend anymore of friday evening thinking of it. I didn't want to be in the trade anyway. I had wanted to scalp an exageration which turned out to be the days breakout and days biggest move. 

And again I didn't increase my size to 400k as I should have (in hindsight) up around 1.3985-95. That would have let me get out at 1.3965. On the flipside: If I had done that and price had moved to 1.4030 and taken out many more stops I would be looking at 3-4k USD loss.

Now while I'm writing EURUSD is back below 1.3950. I need only have held out another 10minutes and I would be up on the day. Never mind.

I guess I was lucky we didn't stick to EURUSD 1.4000 and force me to walk away with a 800USD loss.

Note to self: Get out if after taken position the price moves 20pips against me. Do not increase size if it is moving fast. It will block all ideas for hours. Short sharp pain and move on.

Positive: My broker is the only one making money from my activity and I'm not down on week. I know I need to put in place a mental stop loss price at the very least to stop temptation of doubling up on loosing trades. Next week I must double up on a winner and see if I can let it run for once.



No comments:

Post a Comment